Cleaning Diamonds & Gemstones
Cleaning your diamond jewellery is important if you want your diamonds to shine the way they should. Diamonds are one of the strongest natural materials on the plant but even the strongest benefit from a bit of TLC. Things like hand-wash, perfume, cosmetics and other day to day factors can dull your diamonds over time but fear not, our guide aims to help you get those diamonds shining bright again.
If your jewellery has loose settings, it is always best to take it to a professional jeweller to have it cleaned and repaired so as not to risk damaging it further. We also recommend staying away from novel cleaning methods like toothpaste as they contain chemicals which may harm your diamonds.
Diamond Dazzle Stik
Our first choice of diamond cleaning would have to be Connoisseurs Diamond Dazzle Stik. The Diamond Dazzle Stik is a cosmetic-like pen that contains a special cleansing gel with micro-fine cleansers and polishing agents that are designed to bring lustre back to diamonds. Its special polymers also have the ability to reduce the appearance of scratches and scuffs over time while being safe to use with silver, gold and platinum jewellery. Its size also makes it able to fit in your bag to keep those diamonds shining as you go about your day. Here’s our quick guide on how to use the Diamond Dazzle Stik:
- Remove the blue cap and slightly wet the brush
- Twist the silver base until the blue solution is visible on the brush (you only need a tiny drop as the solution is concentrated)
- Brush your jewellery making sure to get behind the settings and those hard to reach areas until clean
- Rinse your jewellery under warm water to remove the residue
- Dab the jewellery dry with a soft lint free cloth
- Gently polish your jewellery with a polishing cloth to bring back its natural shine.
Connoisseurs Diamond Dazzle Stik Coming Soon to Argemti!
If you do not have access to this product it is perfectly fine to use warm water with a small drop of mild washing up liquid. If you prefer to use this method to clean your diamond jewellery we recommend:
- Fill a bowl with warm water and add a small drop of washing up liquid.
- Submerge your jewellery in water and let it soak for around 20 minutes.
- Remove your jewellery from the water and give your diamond a careful clean using a soft bristle brush, gently cleaning behind the setting.
- Give the jewellery a quick rinse under similar temperature water to remove any debris.
- Gently dab your jewellery dry using a soft lint free cloth and leave it to air dry to give behind the settings time to dry before storing it.
Before cleaning or doing anything with your gemstone jewellery, it is important to know what kind of gemstone you are dealing with as different gemstones have different properties. With that being said, the majority of gemstones with the exception of pearls and opals can be cleaned in the same or a similar way though some gemstones like emeralds, aquamarine and amethyst may have a bad reaction to drastic changes in heat. This is especially true if gemstones have been previously treated with oils to fill small cracks.
With transparent gemstones, it is especially important to clean the underside of the gemstone or the pavilion, to make it shine with lustre the way it should. When cleaning gemstones, we recommend using Connoisseurs All Purpose Jewellery Foam as it is also safe to use with any metal your jewellery is set with as well precious and semi-precious gemstones. You can also use the standard mild washing up liquid in warm water if you prefer or do not have access to the product mentioned.
To clean your gemstone jewellery using Connoisseurs All Purpose Jewellery Foam:
- Remove the lid and soak your jewellery in the foam for around 30 seconds.
- Use a soft bristle brush to get behind the settings, paying special attention to the pavilion, or underside of the gemstone to remove any built up dirt.
- Rinse the jewellery under room temperature water to remove the foam. (We recommend room temperature as some gemstones react badly to drastic changes in temperature)
- Gently dab your jewellery dry using a soft, lint free cloth being sure not to scratch or damage the piece.
- To make sure those hard to reach places dry properly, leave your jewellery to air dry for a while before storing it.
If you are using the washing up liquid and water method of cleaning your jewellery, we recommend:
- Fill a bowl of room temperature water and add a small drop of washing up liquid.
- Place your piece into the bowl and leave it to soak for around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the jewellery from the water and use a soft bristle brush to gently clean the gemstone, paying special attention to the pavilion or underside of the gemstone to bring out its natural radiance
- Gently dab the jewellery dry using a soft, lint free cloth.
- Leave your jewellery to air dry for a while to ensure under the settings and hard to reach places are properly dried before storing.