Cleaning Sterling Silver Jewellery
Discover our favourite tips, tricks and recommendations when cleaning your sterling silver jewellery to bring back that off the workbench sparkle.
As with anything, it is important to look after your sterling silver jewellery and care for it properly to keep it looking fresh and at its best. As pure 99.9% sterling silver is too soft to really manufacture jewellery from, the majority of jewellers mix copper or other alloys to give the metal enough strength to craft jewellery with. The solution is 92.5% sterling silver and 7.5% copper/alloy. This is where the term 925 sterling silver comes from.
Due to the mixture of copper or other alloys, your 925 sterling silver may tarnish over time because of the alloy reacting to sulphur in the air. However this can easily be cleaned & prevented with a little bit of love and care for your jewellery.
Plain Silver Jewellery
For sterling silver jewellery that is not set with gemstones or pearls, our first choice is to use Connoisseurs Silver Jewellery Cleaner due its ability to easily remove tarnish and oxidisation. This product also leaves a protective layer that helps prevent future tarnish. Please note that Connoisseurs Silver Jewellery Cleaner is for SILVER ONLY. Warm water with a mild detergent is still perfectly fine, but nowhere near as effective at getting rid of dirt or tarnish in my personal experience.
Silver Set With Gemstones
When cleaning your sterling silver jewellery that is set with gemstones, we recommend using Connoisseurs Jewellery Cleansing Foam with a soft bristle brush or old toothbrush to get those hard to reach places and help remove dirt. The Cleansing Foam uses a gentle yet efficient cleaning solution that melts away at dirt. Again if you do not have access to these products then you can use the warm water and mild detergent method. Just be sure to use a soft bristle brush or old toothbrush to gently clean settings and crevices to bring them back to life.
- Unscrew the lid from your Connoisseurs Silver Jewellery Cleaner and remove the film.
- Place your sterling silver jewellery inside the dip tray and submerge the jewellery for no longer than 10 seconds
- Remove the jewellery from the solution, you can gently use a soft bristle brush or an old toothbrush to remove dirt in those hard to reach areas.
- Rinse your jewellery under warm water to remove the residue of the Silver Jewellery Cleaner.
- Gently dab your jewellery dry with a soft or microfiber cloth so as not to scratch your jewellery.
- Give your jewellery a wipe over with a polishing cloth to bring out its natural shine (Connoisseurs Ultrasoft Silver Jewellery Polishing Cloth is perfect for this as it leave a protective anti-tarnish layer and gives jewellery a professional sparkle. Coming soon to Argemti.)
Connoisseurs Jewellery Cleansing Foam
- Apply the foam directly to your jewellery and let it soak for around 30 seconds.
- Use a soft bristle brush or an old toothbrush to work the foam into those hard to reach places.
- Thoroughly rinse the jewellery with warm water to remove the foam
- Gently dab the jewellery using a soft or microfibre cloth to dry as not to scratch it.
- Using a polishing cloth, give your jewellery a quick rub to bring out its shine.
Connoisseurs Jewellery Foam Coming Soon to Argemti!
Warm Water & Mild Washing Up Liquid
When using warm water and detergent, it is important to use a very mild detergent and only put one or two small drops into the water. This is because detergent and other cleaning products contain chemicals that can wear away at the metals, leave dark spots on silver and do damage to your pieces in the long run. If you do need to use this method of cleaning, here is what we recommend:
- Fill up a bowl of warm water and add one small drop of a very mild detergent.
- Place your jewellery inside the soapy water and let it soak for around 20 minutes
- Remove the jewellery from the water and use a soft bristle brush or an old toothbrush to remove the leftover dirt and reach those hard to reach areas
- To dry, gently dab your jewellery with a lint free cloth to make sure it does not get scratched
- Give the jewellery a quick polish to bring back its shine (Connoisseurs Silver Polishing Cloth is perfect for this as it leave a protective layer that prevents new tarnish)
Stay Away From:
PLEASE NEVER USE BLEACH OR HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS ON YOUR JEWELLERY. These types of cleaners are a surefire way to ruin your jewellery in no time and should be avoided at all costs.
Toothpaste is another novel cleaning method we recommend staying clear of as the chemicals inside can strip away the metals of your jewellery over time and leave it looking dull.