Cleaning Diamond Jewellery
Wondering how to clean diamond jewellery or what cleans diamonds the best? Or even just wondering how often to clean your diamond jewellery? Our cleaning diamond jewellery guide is made just for you.
- Connoisseurs Precious Jewellery Cleaner
- Diamond Dazzle Stik
- Mild Washing Up Liquid & Water
- Stay Away From
Cleaning diamond jewellery is vital if you want your diamonds to radiate a diamond’s natural beauty. Diamonds are one of the strongest natural materials on the planet with a hardness of 10 on the MOHS scale, but even the strongest benefit from a bit of TLC. Day to day things like hand wash, perfume, cosmetics and other factors can dull the appearance of your diamonds over time especially for pieces you wear daily like wedding or engagement rings but fear not! Our guide aims to help you get those diamonds sparkling again.
It is recommended to clean diamond jewellery around once a week to keep in glistening and in the best shape. If your jewellery has loose settings, it is always best to take it to a professional jeweller to have it cleaned and repaired so you do not risk damaging it further. We also recommend staying away from novel cleaning methods like toothpaste or regular household cleaners like bleach as they contain harsh chemicals that will harm your diamond jewellery.
Cleaning your diamond jewellery can be done with a tiny drop of a mild washing up liquid that is free from harsh chemicals in warm water. Keep scrolling to see our recommendations for using this method of cleaning diamond jewellery.
However our number 1 go to for cleaning diamond jewellery is using a specially formulated jewellery cleaner. I use Connoisseurs Precious Jewellery Cleaner as it is fast working and highly effective at bringing back that lustre while also being safe to use with gold, silver and platinum.
If you are cleaning just the diamond itself to help it bring back that dazzling sparkle, the Diamond Dazzle Stik is an excellent little tool to have. The Diamond Dazzle Stik is a small cosmetic like pen that contains a special cleansing gel with micro-fine cleansers and polishing agents that are designed to bring lustre back to diamonds. Its special polymers also have the ability to reduce the appearance of scratches and scuffs over time while being safe to use with silver, gold and platinum jewellery. Its size also makes it able to fit in your bag to keep those diamonds shining as you go about your day.
Connoisseurs Precious Jewellery Cleaner
- Carefully break the seal on the container.
- Place your piece of jewellery in the dip tray provided and submerge it for no longer than 30 seconds.
- Remove your jewellery from the drip tray and rinse it off under room temperature water.Use the brush provided to remove any stubborn bits of dirt and to very gently clean under the settings.
- Dab your jewellery dry with a soft lint free cloth.
- Use a polishing cloth to bring out that extra shine of your jewellery. Connoisseurs Gold Polishing Cloth is perfect for this as it applies an anti tarnish layer to your jewellery to keep it sparkling for longer than a regular polishing cloth.
Diamond Dazzle Stik
Perfect for touching up your diamonds while on the go, the Diamond Dazzle Stik is a cosmetic-like pen that contains a special cleansing gel with micro-fine cleansers and polishing agents that are designed to bring lustre back to diamonds. Its special polymers also have the ability to reduce the appearance of scratches and scuffs over time while being safe to use with silver, gold and platinum jewellery. Its size also makes it able to fit in your bag to keep those diamonds shining as you go about your day. Here’s our quick guide on how to use the Diamond Dazzle Stik:
- Remove the blue cap and slightly wet the brush
- Twist the silver base until the blue solution is visible on the brush (you only need a tiny drop as the solution is concentrated)
- Brush your jewellery making sure to get behind the settings and those hard to reach areas until clean
- Rinse your jewellery under warm water to remove the residue
- Dab the jewellery dry with a soft lint free cloth
- Gently polish your jewellery with a polishing cloth to bring back its natural shine.
Connoisseurs Diamond Dazzle Stik Coming Soon to Argemti!
Mild Washing Up Liquid & Water
If you don’t have access to the products mentioned earlier then no worries! It is perfectly fine to use warm water with a small drop of mild washing up liquid to clean diamonds, however it does take a little while longer and a little more effort. If you prefer to use this method for cleaning diamond jewellery we recommend:
- Fill a bowl with warm water and add a small drop of washing up liquid.
- Submerge your jewellery in water and let it soak for around 20-30 minutes.
- Remove your jewellery from the water and give your diamond a careful clean using a soft bristle brush, gently cleaning behind the setting to remove any trapped dirt.
- Give the jewellery a quick rinse under similar temperature water to remove any debris.
- Gently dab your jewellery dry using a soft lint free cloth and leave it to air dry to give behind the settings time to dry before storing it.
STAY AWAY FROM:
It is important, as described before not to use any household cleaners like bleach or other products on your jewellery as the chemicals inside may do more harm than good. Toothpaste is another novel jewellery cleaning method that we recommend staying well away from as the chemicals inside may strip away at precious metals over a period of time and leave them looking dull.
We would also recommend staying away from using any ultrasonic cleaners if your jewellery has loose settings or damaged stones as the vibrations may cause more damage.